Tuesday, December 25, 2007

A Genealogy-Related Christmas Present

For a couple of years, I've put the word out that I would like to have a copy of Murray County Heritage as a Christmas present. No one took the bait, so my parents got me a copy this year. This book was compiled by the Murray County History Committee of the Whitfield-Murray Historical Society in 1987. I was pleased to see that it is now in its sixth printing.

As with most county histories, this book includes narratives related to the towns and communities within the county, family histories, and other narratives of interest. It also includes a number of appendices including the 1834 Georgia census, land lottery records, federal census records, Civil War militia, Civil War soldiers (including references to the various companies), slave schedules, and more.

I have to say, compared to some other county histories that I have seen, this one is well organized and a very good source of information. I can't wait to start reading. If you are interested in a copy of your own, contact the Whitfield-Murray Historical Society.

No comments: