Monday, December 24, 2007

To Do List

One of the challenges I face when working on a new project is that I want everything completed right now. For some reason, I'm fine with the genealogy research being long-term, but I become overwhelmed with all the things I want to do on the website. It would be easy for me to focus all my short-term time and attention on the website and ignore the research, but I don't really want to do that.

So, I decided to make a to-do list and post it here. Sort of a "coming attractions" trailer. I may add this as a sidebar list.

  • Military page, detailing veterans of the American Revolution, Civil War, other American wars, etc.
  • DAR-approved lineage proofs of all American Revolution ancestors.
  • Unite the blog and the website, possibly through a content management system like Joomla or postNuke.
  • Possibly add a wiki.
  • Add Google Maps for places and cemeteries.
  • Add a website search feature, possibly Google search.
  • Possibly add charts like those on the Roy-Reyes site.
  • Possibly add some marriage charts for common counties, like this.
  • Customize the photo in the header bar.
  • Continue customizing the home page. In fact, I need to really think about the home page, because I'm not sure if the current layout is effective in drawing people into the site. Here is an example of another TNG site that I really like. This is not one of the standard TNG templates and, frankly, may be beyond my meager php abilities, but I can probably manage to replicate a few of the elements that I like.

That's ten things, which will surely keep me busy for weeks, if not months, to come.

And now, since it's 10 pm on Christmas Eve, I think I'll check out where Santa is on his journey.

Merry Christmas to all!

No comments: