Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Kendrick Research

I reviewed all the indexed items for "Kendrick" in Murray County Heritage today. It was at times frustrating and at other times exhilerating. Many of the Kendrick references had only initials instead of first names. That's great if you already know who the people are, but if you don't, it's not helpful at all. Many of the male Kendricks had similar initials (i.e. lots of first names that started with F), so I couldn't tell if the person referenced was one of my ancestors or not. As a case in point, there is reference to a store owned by F. T Kendrick in Cisco. This may be my great-grandfather. I know that my grandfather owned a store in Ramhurst when my dad was little, but I've never heard anything my great-grandfather having a store. My mother may be able to help with these questions.

I did find one really good section. (Isn't that always the way? You search and search and find nothing; just when you are ready to give up, you hit the mother lode. That's part of what makes genealogy fun.) This section confirmed that my 3x great-grandparents, Thomas Kendrick and Mahalia Lawson were married in Polk County, Tennessee and identified a burial place of Hopewell Cemetery. I don't know where this cemetery is, but when I locate it, I'll add it to my list of places to visit when the weather warms back up. It also confirmed the names of their children for me.

The Kendrick's are a big brick wall for me, so I would say that is not a bad day's work.

No comments: