Sunday, December 23, 2007

What's New Last Week

Last week was fruitful in the discovery of media to add to my genealogy site, http://www.toniasroots.net/. I got some great old photographs from my grandmother, including a photo of her father at his still, a photo that includes her parents when they were courting, and a photo of her brother.

I also found a court document at the Maryland State Archives that references Sutton Quinney, my 7x great-grandfather. The document is dated 1700-1701.

I also found a good website - http://www.findagrave.com/. Users can add cemetery records, including headstone photographs. The website is searchable. I did a quick search by state and county, then scanned through some cemetery names that I recognized. I found three headstone photos of my ancestors - Elizabeth Tucker Ellis, Churchwell Branch Tucker, and Rosamund Maude McKinney Tucker.

On the minus side, I ran into a glitch with my new genealogy website program, TNG. I had added some information to Ancestry, so I wanted to import a new gedcom into TNG. Big mistake! Apparently there is a well-known glitch with Family Tree Maker, and I'm assuming it also applies to Ancestry, because the results were the same. Individuals were tied to unrelated persons over and over again. The database is a complete mess. The clean-up process is tedious, because there is no easy way to identify the corrupted records. I'm going through family by family to clean it up. If you see something crazy, like a child born 100 years before the parents, please let me know.

2 comments:

Hugh W said...

which version of FTM please?

Old hands know never merge databases with more than one overlapping person

Tonia Kendrick said...

I'm not sure. I'm actually using Ancestry online. I found several references to this database corruption occuring with FTM exports in the TNG forums and I'm assuming that since Ancestry and FTM are produced by the same company that this is what caused my problem.