Friday, December 28, 2007

The Oral History Project

I've decided to start an oral history project and I would encourage you to do the same. Our older relatives have priceless memories and it is not too soon to start collecting them.

My maternal grandfather was a gifted, natural storyteller. He could spin a beautifully-structured tale with such vivid details that his listeners were riveted. I always wanted to capture his stories on paper or tape, but I thought I had plenty of time. He passed away almost three years ago, but he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease about 10 years ago. By the time I realized it was too late, well, it was way too late. I will always regret that I waited.

My maternal grandmother has recently been diagnosed with this same, horrible disease. However, she is currently losing only the day-to-day details; I think there is still time to capture her memories of childhood, growing up, her parents and grandparents, young adulthood, etc. I usually visit her on Sundays, so I plan to start documenting these memories.

With today's technology, I can record our conversations, download them to my computer, and I will have audio files as well as transcriptions and source notes for narrative stories. I have found some great resources for interview questions to prompt her memory.

In addition to interviewing my granny, I plan to interview both my paternal grandparents, my parents, and possibly other family members. This is a rich source of data that will add color and depth to my genealogy research. After all, it's not just about dates and names, it's about people and their lives.

No comments: